I am a die hard Black Friday Shopper. I absolutely love it. I love the rush you get and of course all the great deals. It is almost better than the excitement Christmas brings. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Christmas, but Black Friday is right up there with it. I have been a little worried about this years Black Friday, because so many stores are discounting their prices early. I'm not complaining about that because I have found some great deals as the result of this. My only hope is that this means that Black Friday will be GREAT one this year, and all the prices will be extra low. I came across this top ten tips for Black Friday article this morning and thought I would share the tips with all my fellow Black Friday shoppers.
1. Reward Yourself Before You Shop
Now’s the perfect time to think about how you're going to pay for all of your holiday purchases. You’ll see a lot of advice telling you to use store credit cards for an extra 10% off, but don’t fall for this time waster and credit buster. Instead, take some time now to apply for a cash-back card with a 0% APR for 6 or 12 months. You’ll make back 1% (or more) on all of your holiday purchases, and have an instant layaway plan.
I already have this one taken care of!
2. Recalculate
Successful Black Friday shoppers have a plan, and an alternate plan, and an alternate alternate plan. Program your GPS for your intended destination (or use an old-fashioned map), and then figure out some other way to get there if the traffic is horrible and there’s no parking. Plan your excursion so you stay on one side of town, and if possible, in one parking space for your entire trip. Think about taxis, public transportation or getting dropped off. Don’t be too ambitious about how many stores you can hit. Pick one or two that are close by and call it a day.
Don't really think this will be a problem in Logan. But maybe i will have to catch a taxi?? We do always have a plan of attack though.
3. Bust The Door
It might sound like a burden to shop at 2am, or to get up at 5am to get in line at Wal-Mart, but it’s just one day a year. If you’re serious about bargain-hunting – and you have to be to even head out of your house on Black Friday - just do it. Why else are you going shopping on such a hectic day if you’re not going to dig in and save the most money? So drink some coffee and get out there either late or early.
Don't worry I will be out there bright and early!
4. Be Selfish
The best thing to shop for on Black Friday is all of the clothing on sale. In fact, retailers will be desperate for you to buy clothing, with the department stores gunning for your dollars with doorbusters and store-wide clearance sales. You should see great deals from Sears, JC Penny and Kohl's, and the mall stores like American Eagle, Gap and Victoria's Secret. The best way to shop for clothing is in person. So browse the deals and pick up a few things for yourself and then for the other people on your list. Just make sure you know sizes ahead of time, so you can just grab the right sweater and move on.
I don't think I have ever really bought clothes on Black Friday, they make it sound so great maybe I will have to try looking at the clothes this year.
5. Put Down the TV
Is this the year you’re upgrading to a big-screen HDTV? Don’t do it on Black Friday. You might think you’re getting some extra-special deal, but you’re probably not. Circuit City, for one, is liquidating 155 stores, but its prices haven't come down. Retailers will be trying to move HDTVs and other major electronics all season, so this one day will not be the rock-bottom. Besides, can you imagine the kind of service you’re going to get on a busy shopping day? If you’re plunking down over a grand, you want to ask your questions and get the attention you need - something you won't get on Black Friday.
I think the best time to get the HDTV will be after February when all the stores are over stocked in the HDTV's and realize that people can really convert their old tv's and don't have to upgrade. This is when the prices will drop on the HDTV's.
6. Be the Squeaky Wheel
Oh, you think retailers put those price tags on items because that’s what they expect you to pay? The recession has brought back bargaining, so find the item you want for less somewhere else, print the ad, and show it to the manager. The store might not have an official price-matching policy, but you could still walk away with a discount just because retailers are desperate to keep customers. If that doesn’t work, just ask for the (reasonable) price you want, especially if you are having something delivered and want that charge tossed in for free, or if you are buying a major item like a washer/dryer combo.
Good idea sometimes, but I do hate it when someone goes to one store gets everything in their cart and backs up the check out line because they are trying to price match every single item in their cart. Man that just puts me in a bad mood.
7. Dress Lightly, Carry a Big Calculator
Leave your coat in the car, dress in layers, have snacks in your pockets and make sure you bring some kind of mathematical device to add up your purchases. The most important thing you can do so you don’t blow your Black Friday budget is keep track of what’s going in your cart, either with an electronic device or notepad. That said, the other important thing to remember is that you need to set a budget limit for yourself before you set foot out your door. Don’t just go and graze, like you would at an all-you-can eat buffet.
It is true even though it is cold outside your coat is the last thing you want to be lugging around the jam packed store. I remember my sister making fun of me for not wearing a coat and once we got inside she was the one suffering.
8. Facebook Your Gift List
You've gotten used to social networking, so apply that approach to your gift list. The point: be like Santa and make a list of who you want to buy for and who you don't. Black Friday is perfect for impulse buys, but you don't want to load up your cart with a lot of gifts that have no intended recipient. You can't just see some shiny bauble and think it will make a great gift for someone, and two years later still have it. A good list includes all the major family members, plus all the extra people: your co-workers, babysitters, mailmen, etc. Think about everyone you know who might be expecting a treat and make sure they are covered.
Go with a list, but I bet you 9 out of 10 people will do a lot of impulse buying, I know I do. How can you pass up a good deal?
9. Get Proof
Face it, you're not going to like everything you buy on a whim on Black Friday. Things won't fit, you don't really need them, or you'll find cheaper ones a few weeks later. You need to be consistent about getting receipts and keeping them with the merchandise (not shoved all in a pile in your desk). Try keeping the receipt in the bag, taking the bag directly to the closet and stashing it until you need it. This season that is especially important because prices will drop, and you'll want to make the most of your discount by returning items for a lower price. Just beware of restocking fees and other hitches to your return.
Not only do you want to save your reciepts for returns, but also for all those rebates you need to do that week. You know stores are counting on you forgetting about them.
10. Fly Solo
That may sound like no fun, and most advice on Black Friday says to pal up for the day. But unless your shopping partner is more of a personal assistant to follow you around and do your bidding, shopping with another person (or worse, a group) will only slow you down. You'll spend time chatting and browsing on another person's agenda instead of your own. If you get separated, as will surely happen, you'll spend too much time trying to track down the other person. Carpooling, on the other hand, is a great idea. But just go with the expectation that you'll split up and meet back at the car at an appointed time.
I completely disagree with this. I can't imagine going alone on Black Friday. Being with someone is half the fun. And they don't slow you down we just break up our list and we each go and grab one for each other and usually end up with everything we wanted. In fact I think I get more of the stuff I want because I go with someone.
So get excited for some serious shopping, it is only 2 weeks away!!!
5 years ago
8 comments:
Kristi,
You crack me up!! I've never known such a bargain hunter. I am determined to wake up early and hit black friday this year...we'll see if my newborn cooperates! Thanks for the tips.
Hi Kristi, it's your cousin! It's so fun to see your cute family. I love blogging!
Great Black Friday tips--I'm a Black Friday wannabe--I've got a lot to learn.
Thanks for the tips Kristi.... I can't wait to see what GREAT deals I am willing to risk my life to get!!! I am definitely weighing the option of bring my body guard/ gift holder or leaving him home to watch the kids!?! If you hear of any to good to pass up deals let me know.
I'm ready....let's go! I do think you need a coat though while you are waiting in those COLD outside lines :) !!!
Just thinking about this gives me the butterflies! I am with you NEVER shop alone... some go shop while others stand in line! Good Luck!!!
I've never even heard of Black Friday! Can you tell I hate to shop!?
Great comments, although I have only taken the plunge like twice on Black Friday. Do you really get killer deals? I love a great bargain so maybe this year I'll venture out into the madness!
Kristi- You are the PERFECT person to be a black friday shopper. Looking back at our park city shopping trip, you were all business! Good luck!
Post a Comment